Using Mixamo for Rigging
Rigging the VRM in Mixamo Video Tutorial
There are many ways to rig your character depending on which application you are using. The quickest way is to use Mixamo, with a very fast system to rig a character that may be less accurate. It is possible to improve the rig and skinning in your 3D application.
You can use any system that best suits the Unity Humanoid Avatar system.
Upload Character on Mixamo
- Select Next
- Position the key points on your avatar as needed. The points will include the following :
Note how in this model the points were on the knees and not the coat, otherwise the position would be incorrect
Position the key locations on your character
- You can turn symmetry on/off as needed at the bottom
- Once done, use the Next button at the bottom for processing (which will take a minute or two)
- Your can see the results before you select the Next button once again
Results of Mixamo rigging!
- You can test other animations in the Mixamo library, this can give you a good idea of if you need to do any cleaning up in your 3D application
Test Animations on your rig
- If you are happy with your avatar you can download the result at the top right Download button
- Make sure to remove any animations that you tested with before exporting the file as this will export the animation, not the avatar itself.
- When exporting, select .FBX for Unity. Selecting T-Pose on Download is optional, if you plan on importing the avatar directly into Unity after this, then a T-Pose is recommended. Otherwise the original pose may be better for further refinment in your 3D asset creation tool.
Downloading your rigged avatar
Now that you have a rigged avatar you can either import this directly into Unity, or clean it up further in your 3D application of choice.