Comment on page
Update your Space
From Unity 2020.3.18 to Unity 2022.2.3
You may need to update your space to the latest Mona SDK for several reasons, this doc will cover how to do so.
Reasons you may need to do so include the following :
- You need to update your space from a previous version. eg.2022.3.18 or 2022.2.3 to the latest build. Spaces should always be built using the latest update.
- You have a space in the Mona SDK where the Mona library and/or Mona Template utility do not connect/work.
- Your space seems to have broken due to a Unity bug and want to get your space into a fresh Mona SDK Build.
- You have a minted space made in Unity 2020.3.18 and it doesn't look right in the latest version of Mona. Submit your updated Playable files using the following form : https://airtable.com/shrONeJ32UZ4pQT5B
All you need to do (in most cases) is import your previous version Mintable file into the latest Mona SDK. You will need the following :
It is not recommended to use the Unity Hub to simply update the project as a number of errors may appear. You should import the mintable files as assets, this process is described below.
- If you don't have the Mintable Files for the space already, open up the original space in previous version of Unity. eg. 2020.3.18 or 2022.2.3.
- Use the 'Mona/Build Mintable Files' menu to create the Mintable files in the project 'Exports' folder.
Export Mintable Files
- Make note of any assets that may be required (custom shaders, TextMeshPro etc.)
- Extract the latest Mona SDK .zip file to where you would like the project to be. This is the Unity project we will be opening in Unity Hub.
Unzip the Mona 2022 SDK
- Use Unity hub to open the latest project file you just unzipped. Make sure that it is opened using the target Unity version.
Open 2022 SDK in Unity
- Import any of the external assets that you used when creating your space using the Package Manager. Make sure they are all up to date.
- This may include any custom shaders or assets in the Unity store. Note that this is purely to make sure all your assets work when importing your Mintable files.
- If you used Text Mesh Pro assets, make sure to import that into your project as well.
- Use the 'Assets/Import Package/Custom Package...' menu to import the Mintable files from your previous project 'Exports' folder.
- In most cases, make sure to turn off the '_MonaAssets' and 'Mona' folders in the import process so that it uses the latest build files.
- In some cases, you may have modified the template assets for use in your space, if so you may need to import these assets after all. Only select the assets that you have modified.
Import the Mintable Files into Unity 2022
- Use the 'Mona/Load Space Scenes' to load the scenes from your Mintable files.
- Make sure to delete the 'Untitled' scene in the hierarchy.
- Update the space so that it looks and plays correctly.
- If you are importing from Unity 2020, the space lightmaps will probably need to be rebaked as 2022 uses a different approach to how to use 'Generate Lightmap UVs' on models. If the lighting setup files were imported correctly all the settings should be the same, so just use the 'Generate Lighting' button in the Lighting window.
- Make sure that all the shaders etc look correct. If you used any custom shaders, you may need to reimport them.
- If you have any other issues, feel free to jump into the Mona Support Channel on Discord.
- After that you can continue on with your project!